Thursday, August 21, 2014

Becoming Mrs. McCants Part 1

In honor of our 4th wedding anniversary, I figured it was high-in-time that I re-write (not that things have changed) the story about how Charlie and I met. It's not the craziest story, but it's a good one none-the-less

Let's begin:


Around February/March 2009, I was living in Wilmington with a childhood friend who had been going to school at University of North Carolina at Wilmington. I had just graduated from East Carolina and didn't really know what to do with myself, so I moved to the beach. I had been working at a bank telling job, but that had recently ended (it was around the time all that banking mess was going on) and so I was pretty free with my time.

With all of the free time, I was going to visit with my friend Liz on the weekends in Raleigh and she had recently been hanging out with her mom's co-worker, Will and his friends. I had heard of this guy, Charlie, Will's roommate, who I'd never seen but heard was a really nice guy.

One particular weekend, some other friends from college were going downtown and who am I to turn down a trip downtown.

The night was almost over and I go over to get (another?) drink and who was there but a man in a corduroy blazer standing with my friends. At the break in conversation he says something to me that I'd never heard from a guy.

"You have great hair"

What'sthatyousay? Ohh... thanks :)

We all talked for a little and then made our way home.

Charlie walked us home and gave us all hugs as we were walking up to my friend's condo. A weird memory I have...




Onward.

The next day Charlie and Will invited us over for beers at Will's house (patterns people, patterns). Charlie and I sat next each other and talked about different things including at least, grandparents, teaching, where we live, parents, etc. If you talk to either of us, we will say that conversation was THE turning point. We both knew something was different about this person.

Charlie then left to get dinner and we left in the mean-time. He was then frantically texting Liz for us to come back over.

I left that night and found that someone had written on my Facebook wall once I got home.

Fast forward a few days and we are talking on (get this) Facebook chat for HOURS into the evening. Poor guy was up until the wee hours of the morning talking to me, and had to go to work shaping young minds the next day. I could just go to the beach or something.

I should mention that at this point I have been talking to some international teaching agencies, I was getting everything in order to go teach english in Taiwan. I am getting documents together to move oversees for the next year.

He would send me e-mails every morning with a different song and a little message (so sweet).

For the next few weeks we chat about meeting in Raleigh for concerts and get togethers. Honestly I wasn't 100% sure, but soon found out that this was going to be THE ONE.

March 21, 2009 We go on our first date.

I think I'll stop there for now. Part 2 coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. Love hearing how you both met! Can't wait to read how it ends :)

    ReplyDelete